Wood Virtuoso® is a suite of software tools for robust, real-time management of oil and gas, carbon dioxide and hydrogen pipeline and process systems.
With more than 20 years of successful performance in the field, Virtuoso is a leading, industry-standard package used by most of the world’s major operating companies.
The highly flexible software provides many operational and commercial functionalities to help address the most complex gathering, production, transportation and processing issues, customised to the unique challenges of our clients’ installations.
Operators use Virtuoso for both online and offline management of complex production and sequestration systems as well as training, what-if analysis, reliability and flow assurance.
Virtuoso provides vital monitoring and advisory functions, ensures operational integrity, enables production operations management and optimisation, provides performance assessment, and facilitates planning, forecasting and data analysis.
More than 100 Virtuoso systems have been deployed over the last 20+ years for onshore and offshore oil and gas, carbon dioxide (CO2) sequestration and energy storage operations worldwide.
For example, Virtuoso is used as a process digital twin for more than 30% of the World’s LNG production, and the world’s largest CO2 sequestration system uses Virtuoso® to ensure safe and efficient storage of CO2 in real-time.
The systems have been widely used for the following applications:
- Carbon dioxide impurity and quality tracking
- Real-time off-specification advice and management
- VLE and CO2 integrity management
- Gas storage caverns and management
- Virtual multiphase flow metering and allocation
- Well integrity and performance surveillance
- Well optimisation and programmed well operating guidelines and control
- Total asset performance management - asset/pipeline/process performance monitoring and control, including operating pressure and temperature envelope, slugging and liquid hold-up, line-pack, leak detection and location, flow restriction or blockage detection, scraper/pig tracking and forecasting
- Production process flow management and analytics, including ramp-up, start-up, shutdown operations forecasting and optimisation
- Hydrogen (H2) and hydrogen-enriched natural gas (HENG) modelling and management
- Flow assurance advisory, including wax formation, hydrate management & propensity assessment, corrosion hot spot monitoring, chemical inhibitor dosage and concentration tracking
- Pipeline leak detection and blockage/restriction detection
- Production meter balancing and reconciliation
- Upstream/topside process control and optimisation, including separator, pump and compressor
- Gas processing plant blending and optimisation
- Linepack management and capacity assessment
- Field instrument analytics and failure detection
- Engineering simulator to develop operating procedures, study control philosophy, plan future expansions and training
- Operator Training System (OTS), including options for VP Link & ProDyn
- Flare system monitoring
Today, Virtuoso helps manage the world’s key gas resources and some of the world’s largest energy transition projects in hydrogen-enriched natural gas and carbon dioxide transport.
- Virtuoso ES – engineering simulator
- Virtuoso OTS – operator training system
- Virtuoso VMS – virtual metering system
- Virtuoso Monitor – operations monitoring
- Virtuoso LDS – leak detection system
- Virtuoso Advise – operations advisory
- Virtuoso Optimise – operations optimisation
- Virtuoso Control – operations closed-loop control with SCADA/DCS
- Virtuoso Analytics – data analysis and processing
- Virtuoso EOR-SAGD – steam-assisted gravity drainage (SAGD) operations
- Virtuoso Flare – flare system monitoring