Cathodic protection is one of the most effective forms of external corrosion control for immersed or buried metallic materials.
It is frequently used as a secondary (or backup) system in combination with protective coatings, however, it is also used as a standalone system when operational conditions make the use of coatings unjustified or impractical.
Despite a simple and robust mechanism, the protective effects of cathodic protection are only optimal within a narrow range of design and operational parameters. Faulty design or improper operation of cathodic protection may be detrimental to equipment, protective coatings and even personnel safety.
As a consequence, the area of cathodic protection is regulated and requires the expertise of specialised and suitably qualified engineers.
Wood’s highly experienced and NACE / ACA (Australian Corrosion Association) certified engineers have delivered a long track record of innovative cathodic protection designs and troubleshooting, as well as retrofit cathodic protection consultancy scopes.
Wood has a team of specialist metallurgists who are experts in cathodic protection application techniques. We understand the many factors that can impact on the method’s effectiveness and consider influences such as hydrogen-induced cracking, stray current and electrolysis risks during project planning, eliminating or mitigating these risks during the design process. We also work to ensure that protective coatings and cathodic protection work hand in hand to provide an effective response to corrosion issues.
Wood is not affiliated with any cathodic protection manufacturers, suppliers or contractors, which allows us to provide unbiased and optimal solutions for our customers.
Our services include:
- Design and analysis of impressed current and sacrificial cathodic protection systems, including offshore and onshore metallic fixed and floating structures, pipelines, tanks, jetties, quay-walls, reinforced concrete structures and systems for Hydrogen induced stress cracking (HISC) susceptible materials (martensitic and duplex stainless steels)
- Cathodic protection inspections and surveys (including CIPS/COPS and DCVG), including onshore CP and offshore CP
- Subsea cathodic protection surveys using cell-to-cell technique
- Corrosion potential mapping on concrete structures
- Cathodic protection modelling, including well casings potential and current density profile modeling (using wireline tool simulation software)
- Cathodic protection performance under disbonded coatings and within crevices
- Low-frequency induction (LFI)/earth potential rise (EPR) effects on onshore pipelines caused by high voltage power lines
- Pipeline AC corrosion susceptibility
- Pipelines subject to direct electrical heating (DEH)
- Retrofitting (anode skids)
- Material procurement support and manufacturing inspection
- Cathodic protection system installation support, commissioning service and faultfinding
- Cathodic protection training courses
- CP life extension analysis
- Pipeline attenuation modelling
- Global CP analysis
Our clients for cathodic protection services include:
- Beach Energy
- BHP Billiton
- Rio Tinto
- Saudi Aramco
- Water Corporation
Codes and standards for cathodic protection
Our cathodic protection team works to the following codes, standards and accreditations:
|A Codes||DNV Codes||NACE codes||ISO codes||EN codes|
|AS2832.1||DNV RP-B-401||NACE SP0169||ISO 15589-1||EN 16299|
|AS2832.2||DNV RP-F-103||NACE SP0607||ISO 15589-2||EN 16222|
|AS2832.3||NACE SP0186||ISO 12696||EN 50443|
|AS2832.4||NACE SP0207||ISO 15280||EN 14505|
|AS2832.5||ISO 18086||EN 13174|
Cathodic protection, CP, CP design, CP survey, DCVG, anodes, offshore CP survey, onshore CP survey, CP survey, cathodic protection, transformer rectifier, ground bed anodes, anodes, CIPS, COPS, corrosion, stray current, galvanic, impressed current, Perth, Australia, Western Australia, WA.
Get in touch
Related Key Markets
Active listening – how AI can optmise performance at noise-constrained facilities
Welcome to Net Zero
Powering a new energy system from offshore wind and hydrogen?
Delivering on Biden’s big ambition
What is your decarbonisation SCORE?
Creating a sustainable future for energy and industry in the Middle East
Wood Chief Executive selected to form part of new UK Investment Council
- Press release
Wood strengthens sustainability commitments
Wood’s mobile PFAS treatment solution cited for innovation by US Navy and Marine Corps
- Press release
Trading update for the year ended 31 December 2020
- Press release
Wood launches partnership with Atlanta’s Historically Black Colleges and Universities
Wood strengthens long-term partnership with key client in Iraq