As a full-services system integrator, Wood designs and implements fully integrated process control and safety systems.
Our automation professionals draw from a broad experience base and can assist during any stage of the project life cycle
Wood is a global system integration leader, providing vendor-independent automation and control products and services. We are experienced in providing complete end-to-end solutions for control systems of any size and complexity, including control panels and remote instrument enclosures (RIEs) in the process, power, manufacturing, and several other industries. Combined with our full engineering capabilities, we execute the smallest to the largest projects as turn-key solutions. Our automation professionals draw from a broad experience base and can assist during any stage of the project lifecycle to assist in platform selection, design and estimation, or commissioning.
Wood’s capabilities extend across the full spectrum of hardware; instrumentation, process logic controllers (PLC), distributed control systems (DCS), logic solvers and higher-level applications. We provide automation services from the smallest brownfield HMI modification to the largest greenfield projects in the world. Our span of services results in fewer interfaces, faster implementation and ultimately a more robust and reliable automation system to implement complex industrial processes.
Automation value chain
Wood has executed some of the most prestigious automation projects in the world and adapted itself to changing market conditions and client strategies. We offer fully integrated solutions and established key value-added services that complement the process control design. Some of these key value areas include the following:
- Greenfield and brownfield control system integrations and migrations
- MAC toolkits and interface management expertise
- Obsolescence management tools
- Functional safety and assurance
- Human factors engineering
- Remote Instrument Enclosure (RIE) integration
- Analyser systems integration
- Direct hire I&E construction
Control system design and implementation
Wood’s expertise spans the entire lifecycle of control system projects, from concept through commissioning, optimisation, maintenance and replacement. We utilise a network of technical authorities and subject matter experts to maintain competency on all major programmable electronic systems in use by our clients. We work smarter and design the systems with field commissioning, startup, maintenance and operations in mind.
The use of automated design tools, Wood PowerTools, allows us to progress automation projects before the final technology is chosen. This ensures a fit-for-purpose design and eliminates the vendor bias associated with preselecting a vendor early. In fact, the industry shift to more open architectures is changing the game for project execution and putting more emphasis on the technology integrator and less on the vendor. PowerTools, a suit of virtually deployed technology tools, allows for the digitisation of many tasks including system independent controls configuration.
Main Automation Contractor (MAC)
Our MAC approach focuses on providing engineering design, procurement, programming, integration and commissioning services on all the major controls hardware and software vendors to help you identify the best available, proven technologies in the marketplace.
Core objectives for MAC projects are met by managing instrument and control project cost and scheduling risks that have historically plagued large-scale capital projects engineered by multiple EPCs (engineering, procurement & construction companies).
Advantages to using Wood as your MAC:
- Early engagement of MAC prior to vendor selection sets the basis for system design
- Multi-system experience enhances sub-system integration
- INtools administration and hosting for multiple EPCs
- Expertise in managing multiple complex interfaces between EPCs, owners and third parties
- Larger scope of supply capability versus OEM hardware vendor or EPC instrument department
- Full engineering discipline support for instrumentation, electrical, mechanical, civil and other areas for complete turn-key automation projects
- Process control knowledge ensuring a focus on operability of the facility
Process control solutions
True process control starts with understanding the process. Wood Automation and Control draws our expertise from our people who have come from operating facilities, plants, mills and operations around the world. That expertise combined with a strong engineering background ensures our solutions are truly fit-for-purpose and will deliver safe and reliable startup and full operation. Our extensive use of PowerTools allows our control experts to spend more time focusing on the application versus analysing and entering data.
- Project management
- Engineering & Design
- PLC software solutions
- SCADA and MIS systems
- Control panels
- Safety systems
- Medium and low voltage control design
- Low voltage control design
- Drive and servo systems
- Water / Wastewater
With physical integration systems designed for every level of your business, Wood gives you the power to make your operations safer and smoother, boosting efficiency and reducing costs with power systems including:
- Medium voltage distribution switchgear
- Medium voltage motor control centres
- Medium voltage metering and termination panels
- Medium voltage local isolation panels
- Medium and low voltage refurbishments and extensions
- Neutral earthing resistor panels
- Turnkey package solutions
- Containerised substations
- Low voltage distribution switchgear
- Low voltage motor control centres
- Integration and network control
- Control panels
We perform all types of control project in a variety of industries and geographies, and our execution methodology is applied consistently on projects that may range from a small obsolescence upgrade on a lithium mine in Chile to a Main Automation Contract (MAC) project for a world scale upstream facility in Kazakhstan. Our team of dedicated automation project managers understand the uniqueness of automation projects and utilise our best in class project management tool, PaceSetterTM to standardise project management activities.
Wood recognises that excellent customer service beyond system handover is essential. Across diverse industries – from automotive manufacturing and steel production to water processing and baggage handling – our clients rely on us to provide rapid and expert support to maximise the uptime of their production or distribution operations. Our reliable service operation helps to provide competitive advantage for our clients by allowing them to focus on their core activities.
We provide warranty support for our own equipment and can also offer third-party and extended warranties for selected competitor equipment. Our service team will provide rapid support and deliver a solution designed to minimise disruption to ongoing operations.
To ensure reliable system operation, we can provide a range of periodic preventative maintenance checks. From component and software audits, through thermal imaging surveys to complete plant maintenance, our service experts can provide the reassurance you expect from a professional OEM.
24/7 emergency support
For ultimate peace of mind, a bespoke support contract can be developed to provide 24/7 direct contact with a service technician through our call centre. On-line engineering support and, where necessary, an emergency site visit can be tailored to suit your operational and production requirements.
Retrofits and upgrades
To provide maximum benefit for minimum capital expenditure, we investigate and recommend cost-effective retrofits and upgrades for our customers’ existing systems. All enhancement work is undertaken by our experienced service team in accordance with our stringent quality standards.
Field & Workshop investigations and repairs
- Exceptional circumstances may require your low voltage or medium voltage product to be returned to one of our workshops for investigation by our specialist engineering team. Faults and failure modes are fully analysed and we work with you to find a cost-effective solution.
- All workshop repairs are fully tested in accordance with our quality standards and our installation and commissioning personnel ensure that all equipment is returned to service as quickly as possible.
- Problems encountered in daily operations can be investigated on site by our experienced engineers. In many cases, the issue – whether mechanical, electrical or software-related – can be remedied during the initial visit and a warrantied repair provided.
Spares and obsolescence management
The service life of electrical and control systems often exceeds that of the components and software within them. Our service team is able to advise on spares inventory levels and hardware or software obsolescence, as well as managing system upgrades to ensure minimal disruption to your operations.
When it comes to replacing ageing, redundant or obsolete equipment, our service team can offer inspection services and safe removal. We can assess the viability of your equipment’s reuse, enabling you to make an informed decision about your assets prior to disposal.
Recognising that having trained and competent staff to operate and maintain our solutions at customer sites contributes greatly to their reliability, we can provide operational and maintenance training for clients’ employees, either on site or at our own premises. We also invest in The Academy, our in-house apprenticeship scheme, to train future engineers to support our current and legacy systems.